Sunday, March 19, 2006

2003 Cline "Ancient Vines" Zinfandel (California)

I was expecting to be down on this wine because Robert Parker has been dissing Cline Zins of late, but this was quite nice. Deep, soft blackish ruby color. Atypical nose for a Zin, with plums, spice, hickory smoke and caramel. Absolutely sexy, voluptuous mouthfeel. Honestly, there are other ways to describe the texture, but this is a family blog. Almost port-like ripeness, with a long, lush finish. Not complex, but very fun to drink. My bud Robert, who gave me this, said it needs to be drunk right away, and he's right. 88. I think I've seen this in several places for about $13-14.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Tom, good timing, I actually just bought this wine, haven't had a chance to taste it yet, but after reading your review, I can't wait to open it up.
Thanks

M.D.E. said...

Tom, I am a friend of the Hughens and have really enjoyed your blog.
My wife and I are big Zin fans, and this is one of our favorites. I have to agree with your review. You certainly captured in words the visceral exprience of this Zin. Thanks! Next time your looking and find a Seghesio Zin, I'd love to read your view! We are fond of the Sonoma one.