Sunday, January 30, 2011

Going from numeric scores to A+, A, A-, B+, B, etc.

You know, I'm just not sure I really can consistently cut it quite that fine. About the only real difference for me between what I consider to be an 87 point wine and an 88 point wine is that I usually am willing to buy an 88 point wine again if it's a good value. Beyond that, who knows what the difference is? But that's just me. It's way more important to read the tasting notes and see if that sounds like something that would taste good to you.

On a related note, I've been asked why I don't have many wines in the C range or below. Many times, if the wine really sucks, I won't blog on it. But if the wine really should have been good but wasn't, I'll try to let my 7 readers know so they won't make the same mistake I did. Also, from experience, I'm pretty good at making educated guesses at what's going to be good or not. (Turning the label around and checking for a top-flight importer is a big headstart.)

Anyway, so long numeric scores. Hello, slightly-fudgier letter grades. (Anything A- or higher I will continue to label as "90 or better.")


2 comments:

Dionysus said...

Where does an 87/88 fall on this new grading scale? B, B+? It is similar to using that centigrade scale for temperature. The granularity falls by the wayside.

Tom Casagrande said...

Good question. 87 is probably at the cusp of B/B+, and 88 is a B+. But if I am cutting it that fine, I'm right back to the numbers, I guess. Heck, I don't know what to do at this point. Just read the damn notes.