Friday, March 02, 2012

2009 Quivira ZINFANDEL (Dry Creek Valley, Cal)

I almost poured this wine down the drain shortly after I opened it because it was so weird initially.  I'm glad I put it away and drank it the next night, because the time helped it a lot.

Bright intense ruby color. The first day, the nose was just bizarre.  First, there was a ton of that pungent, American oak smell I associate with old school Rioja, but it was coupled with an almost cartoonishly exaggerated tangy, rhubarby/boysenberryish fruit--almost like it was concocted in a New Jersey food lab.  So I put the Vacu-Vin on it and forgot about it for a day.  The next night, it was far more normal.  The American oak smell was gone and a pure, bright, blackberryish fruit emerged.  There was good concentration in the mouth, but with nice balance.  Clingy, pure, deep fruit, a long finish, and pretty good acidity.  Almost imperceptible tannin added some frame to it.  Very nice  dinner accompaniment.  Scored on the second night, I would give it a B+.  Give this wine LOTS of air time to come around.  Was $19.99 at Arrowine in Arlington.

No comments: