Saturday, October 01, 2011

2007 Scilio ETNA ROSSO (Sicily, Italy)

I'm seeing many more Sicilian wines on the market these days, and to my taste Etna Rosso is usually one of the most elegant ones.  Even though Sicily bakes under an intense sun, Etnas tend to retain good acidity and balance.

This one was a little older than I usually look for in an Etna, but it was still drinking very well, and was one of the most minerally wines I've ever drunk.  Like drinking the liquid essence of barren volcanic soil.  Very good, and very unique.  Terroir freaks (I guess I'm kind of one) may enjoy it more than those who like lots of fruit or lots of oak or both.

Dark ruby garnet in color.  Loads of minerals and smoky, gun flinty gravel beat out the winey cherry and plummy fruit.  Full-bodied (14.5% alc.), but had a soft texture and good acidity.  Not much tannin.  Nothing but smoky minerals on the finish.  B+/A-.  Drink over the next year so the fruit doesn't totally pack up and leave.  Was about $20 at Houston Wine Merchant.  Imported by North Berkeley Imports.

No comments: