Wednesday, November 21, 2007

2005 Tenuta San Leone BARDOLINO SUPERIORE "Montesalionze" (Veneto, Italy)

This was one of the best, if not the best, wines I've ever had from the Veneto region -- which encompasses not only the Bardolino appellation, but the Valpolicella (and Amarone) appellation. Just amazing. Bardolino is usually a light, watery, faintly bitterish wine for uncritical guzzling. Not this one.

Started with a dark ruby purple color. Then the nose erupted out of the glass -- eucalyptus, ripe black cherries, fresh cinnamon stick, with a chalky earthiness in the background. Amazing. Haven't smelled anything quite like this in a long time -- bright, intense flavors of spicy cherry, minerals, and cinnamon. Long, long, concentrated finish, yet the wine retained a sense of lightness and balance throughout. I've never tasted a Veronese wine anything like this. Get some of this if you can find it (I've never seen it in Houston). 93. My brother got this for $15.99 at West Side Wines on Raymond Road in West Hartford -- an amazing value.

3 comments:

Dionysus said...

Can we get this here in the Bayou City? You blast us with a "Just Amazing" and an "amazing value" and leave it just outta reach. Cruel...

Is it worth it to locate and hold a case or two?

Tom Casagrande said...

Robert -- I haven't seen it here, and definitely YES, it's worth looking for it here, although my brother told me it's imported in miniscule quantities by a small, Connecticut-based importer, so I'm not optimistic.

Anonymous said...

I am the sister-in-law fortunate enough to live down the street from the wine store in which we located this fabulous wine. Although I am not the expert in the family by any means, this wine is a blow your mind wine! Since marrying into this wine family I have been fortunate to experience many fine wines. This one is an absolute STAND OUT! Without doubt, it is my favorite of 2007.