Monday, May 09, 2005

2001 Rafanelli Dry Creek Valley Zin

86. While Rafanelli is, for reasons I won't bore you with, a sentimental favorite of my wife and mine, the 2001 isn't one of its best efforts. Lots of leather (brett?) on the nose, but with some nice brooding ripe red fruit underneath. Leather again, and ripe, sappy raspberries in the mouth, with a long, somewhat hot finish (kind of surprising, given that it's only 14.4% alcohol, which is pretty middle of the road for Zin). 36 bucks (ouch!) at Richard's on San Felipe. 2002 Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage is a better wine at 1/3 the price, and a heck of a lot easier to find.

1 comment:

Dionysus said...

You are having fun with these blogs. This is my new favorite wine spot. I have always chased your leads and they have proved to be worth it.
An added bonus is all your wine notes get archived (for free) for as long as you keep on bloggin.

ps. I am going to link this site from http://wineos.blogspot.com

Dionysus