Sunday, April 27, 2014

2012 Mockingbird Hill ZINFANDEL Reserve (Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County, California)

This wine is very young and, at present, needs a lot of time to breathe.  The first night I thought it was going to be mediocre, since it showed zero fruit and seemed to display nothing but vaguely oaky scents and alcohol.  Then I put it under a Vacu-Vin closure for two full nights and forgot about it.  I came back to it on the third day, and, in an Easter season miracle, it rose from the dead (i.e., it was a different wine altogether).  These notes are from day three.

Very dark, youthful-looking ruby.  Classic Dry Creek Valley scents of creamy, spicy black raspberry/blackberry fruit, augmented by some stony scents.  Soft, rich, and mouthfilling.  It's ripe, but not overripe, which seems to be a problem with Zins these days.  Loads of pure, ripe, dark berry fruit, and some darkly-minerally notes.  Full-bodied, and possessing loads of youthful but reasonably soft tannins.  Pure, long, juicy finish.  If you want to "pop-n-pour" this one, you're going to need to wait 2-3 years.  If you want to drink it before then, be sure to decant it (through a Vinturi) for several hours ahead of time.  B+(+).  Was $14.99 from WTSO.com, making it a pretty good value.

(Note:  Cabernet label shown, but the Zinfandel label has the same look.)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So over the years of following your blog I have come back to you time to time for a recommendation. I appreciate you keeping it running.

I also have moved from Houston although only to Dallas. Have you checked out Last Bottle. Its similar to WTSO. Also I found a website called Vinelog that shows 4-5 "flash" wine websites selling. Its a one stop shop plus you can click to cellar tracker which shows reviews "although how accurate I do not know"

You just missed out on a wonderful last bottle marathon. I was able to pick up over a case of different wines all well below what I would pay "or want to pay" at Specs or Total Wine.

Just thought I would throw that out there in case you didn't know.

Cheers

Shawn